The name of Skid Row Housing Trust’s latest development says it all.

The Six gets its name from the old military term “got your six.” It means “I’ve got your back,” and the new 52-unit development does just that for the formerly homeless veterans who call it home.

“The project is 100% permanent supportive housing, with 35% of the units set aside for homeless veterans,” says Dana Trujillo, chief real estate officer at the Trust The remaining 65% serve other formerly homeless individuals.

The Six is the longtime affordable housing developer’s first building with units specifically dedicated for vets. It’s an important project in Los Angeles, which has the highest number of homeless veterans in the nation. In the 2015 point-in-time estimates, there were 4,016 homeless veterans in L.A. That’s more than twice the next largest number, New York City with 1,558 homeless vets.

Twenty-one units are restricted at 30% of the area median income (AMI), 18 units are restricted at 45% of the AMI, and 11 units are restricted at 50% of the AMI. The development is covered by project-based Sec. 8 vouchers. Two units are reserved for property managers.

Located in the MacArthur Park neighborhood, the development is the nonprofit’s first project outside of downtown L.A. “It’s part of our larger goal to bring quality permanent supportive housing for the chronically homeless to other areas in Southern California where there is a significant homeless problem,” says Trujillo.

“The Six is consistent with the Trust’s emphasis on high-quality design that creates a community landmark for individuals who are high in need of housing and services,” Trujillo says.

Like many of the Trust’s recent projects, The Six features a bold look. Designed by Brooks + Scarpa, the development has an opening in front that allows residents to look out into the neighborhood and connects them with their surroundings.

“The philosophy behind the design was one of community integration,” says Trujillo, explaining that the “removal” of the fourth wall helps eliminate the barriers that often separate residents in a multifamily development from the larger community.

The Six features a rooftop solar hot water system and an irrigation drip system for the building’s numerous gardens, which contributed to the building earning LEED for Homes Platinum certification.

The development is among the first permanent supportive housing projects to partner with the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services, which helps provides funding for supportive services in addition to referring individuals who are homeless and frequent utilizers of emergency health-care services.

The $16.7 million development was financed primarily with low-income housing tax credit equity from National Equity Fund.