There were 5.2 million units subsidized by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), serving 10 million people in 2013, according to a new HUD report.
A Picture of Subsidized Households was prepared by HUD’s Office of Policy Development and Research.
Other findings include:
- 75 percent of the households in subsidized housing are extremely low income, meaning their incomes are no more than 30 percent of the area median income;
- On average, subsidized households live in census tracts where 25 percent of the households are at or below the poverty level;
- Households have an average annual income of $12,890 or $1,074 per month;
- Households spend an average of $304 per month on rent.
- 77 percent of the households are headed by a woman; and
- 33 percent of the households are headed by someone 62 or older.
The report can be found at www.huduser.org.
Connect with Donna Kimura, deputy editor of Affordable Housing Finance, on Twitter @DKimura_AHF